Members who would like a brief overview of the process for the NSE are encouraged to print off the following NSE Checklist.
Beginning with the 2018-2019 academic year, NSE will provide three options to teachers as follows:
- NSE – National Spanish Examinations
All registration and test administration procedures will remain unchanged from 2018.
- NSA – National Spanish Assessments
These examinations will be similar to the National Spanish Examinations with the following differences:
- Registration and testing can take place throughout the year.
- The cost of the NSA is $3 per student
- Each of the four modules can be administered separately.
- Each of the four modules can be administered twice.
- The NSA is not part of the NSE contest, and there are no prizes nor scholarships.
- Results are available immediately through the teacher’s Quia account.
- Results are provided in points and percentages, not in percentiles.
3. SEAL – Spanish Evaluation of Advanced Language
This full-proficiency examination combines the NSA exam scores, M1 (Interpretive Reading) and M2 (Interpretive listening), with the SIELE S5 scores for Presentational Speaking and Writing.
- Schools must apply to become testing centers to administer SIELE through the SIELE website.
- Approved test centers can administer other SIELE exams in addition to the SEAL exam.
- Teachers register for the SEAL exam through the NSE website using ONE online registration form.
- The cost of the SEAL Exam is $89.
- Results are generally available within three weeks of testing.
- Results are provided as a proficiency using CEFR proficiency levels.
NOTE: Correlation of CEFR levels to ACTFL levels are readily available.
Click here for a summary of the three options.
If you are a teacher who did not register any students for the 2018 National Spanish Examinations, you can click here if you would like to be on our mailing list to receive regular updates.
If you registered students for the 2018 National Spanish Examinations, then you are already on our mailing list and will automatically receive updates.